The Film Services Office (FSO) was established to promote the development of the Hong Kong film industry. Since its inception in April 1998, the FSO has helped the film industry to overcome some of the fundamental difficulties in film productions, and will continue its best endeavours to render assistance and support for film productions in Hong Kong. On 1 June 2009, the FSO (organisation chart) came under Create Hong Kong, Communications and Technology Branch, Commerce and Economic Development Bureau.
Maintain Hong Kong as a major film-producing centre, and to enhance Hong Kong's position as a film trading and service hub in the Asia-Pacific Region.
- To create and maintain an environment conducive to the long-term and healthy development of the film industry
- To facilitate film production in Hong Kong
- To promote Hong Kong films locally and abroad
Our Functions and Services
- Facilitating film production, in particular location shooting in Hong Kong;
- Regulating the use of pyrotechnics and other dangerous goods for creating special effects in film and television productions and theatrical performances;
- Maintaining a resource centre and a dedicated website with information on location shooting and reference material relating to local film production services;
- Providing support to the Hong Kong Film Development Council;
- Administering the Film Development Fund to provide funding support to projects conducive to the long term development of the local film industry;
- Administering the Film Guarantee Fund to facilitate the development of a film financing infrastructure in Hong Kong; and
- Organising film events for promotion of local film industry in Hong Kong and abroad;
- Publishing information and procedural guides relating to film productions:
- To help promote the long term development of the film industry.