What is the FSO?
The Film Services Office (FSO) was established to promote the development of the Hong Kong film industry. Since its inception in April 1998, the FSO has helped the film industry to overcome some of the fundamental difficulties in film productions, and will continue its best endeavours to render assistance and support for film productions in Hong Kong. On 1 June 2009, the FSO (organisation chart) came under Create Hong Kong, Communications and Creative Industries Branch, Commerce and Economic Development Bureau.
Maintain Hong Kong as a major film-producing centre, and to enhance Hong Kong's position as a film trading and service hub in the Asia-Pacific Region.
- To create and maintain an environment conducive to the long-term and healthy development of the film industry
- To facilitate film production in Hong Kong
- To promote Hong Kong films locally and abroad
Our Functions and Services
- Facilitating film production, in particular location shooting in Hong Kong;
- Regulating the use of pyrotechnics and other dangerous goods for producing special effects in Film/TV productions and theatrical performances;
- Maintaining a resource centre and a dedicated website with information on film production services in Hong Kong, including local rules and regulations on location shooting;
- Providing support to the Hong Kong Film Development Council;
- Administering the Film Development Fund to provide funding support to projects conducive to the long term development of the Hong Kong film industry;
- Organising film-related events for promotion of The Hong Kong film industry locally and abroad; and
- Publishing information and procedural guides relating to film Productions in Hong Kong::