Travel Information


Hong Kong has a wide variety of accommodations which suit the budgets for different visitors. Hotels/guesthouses licensed by the Home Affairs Department can be found at There are also some moderately priced youth hostels or hostels operated by voluntary organisations such as Caritas Hong Kong, YMCA, YWCA and the Scout Association of Hong Kong. Contact the Hong Kong Tourism Board or visit its website at for information.

Electricity supply

Hong Kong’s power supply is at 50 Hz alternating current while the voltage is 220 volts single phase and 380 volts three phases. The majority of electrical outlets in Hong Kong take a three-pronged UK-style plug


The Hong Kong dollar (HK$) is freely convertible and is pegged to the US dollar at a narrow range around HK$7.80 to US$1. There is no inflow or outflow limitation on the amount of currency.


Chinese and English are the official languages of Hong Kong. The majority of Hong Kong people speak Cantonese but Putonghua (i.e. Mandarin) and English can be used for daily communication as well.